Saturday, November 13, 2010

'Puff' Pastry and egg and bacon pie

So I thought I'd start my blog with a new little recipe Im trying out.

I often make this bacon and egg pie (free range bacon and free range
eggs) with store bought pastry, but I thought it ould be nice to have a go at making my own, and it was quite easy.



120grams butter
80grams lard
100gms chilled water
250grams plain flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons lemon juice

Put flour in TM bowl and turbo for a few seconds to sift.
Cut butter and lard into cubes, add to bowl along with salt, lemon juice, and most of the water.
Knead for 10-20 secs on interval unitl it forms a rough dough. You may need to add the rest of the water.
Turn onto lightly floured board and pat gently into a log shape.
Roll out to a long thin strip, approx 40cm x 12 cm.
Fold into 3 by folding the bottom third up and the top third down over that.
Turn so that folds are at the sides. Roll out again.
Repeat this 3 more times.
Cover and leave in fridge till ready to use, at least 30 mins.


The lard was pretty horrid to touch, and I have heard of people using only butter, so if thats all you have on hand go ahead :)



Then make the pie, its an open pie so I suppose it's a quiche, but my husband dosnt eat quiche, so it's a pie in our house ;)


Ingredients:

Pastry, I had enough for 1 big pie and 12 mini pies (for tomorrows lunchbox)
1/2 brown onion peeled
60g tasty cheese (I used a bit more, like 90grams... hehehe)
2 rashers bacon - rind removed and chopped (hmm I used more here too)
4 free-range eggs
190g milk
salt and pepper to taste

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 200 degrees.

Roll homemade pastry thinly.

Grease a pie plate/dish (I use a 30cm quiche dish) and line with pastry.

Place the onion into the TMX bowl and chop for 4 seconds on speed 5. Sprinkle over pastry.

Place the cheese into the TMX bowl and chop for 4 seconds on speed 8. Sprinkle over onion.

Sprinkle the bacon over the onion and cheese.

Place the eggs, milk, salt and pepper into the TMX bowl and mix for 20 seconds on speed 4-5. Pour the mixture into the pie dish.



Cook for 10 minutes at 200 degrees, before turning the oven down to 180 degrees and cooking for a further 20-25 minutes until set. Enjoy!

EDITED TO ADD Failsafe adaption. For my failsafer son I use butter for the pastry, then I just use egg and milk with a little parsley or egg and a dollop of garlic and herb dip, i oftne make mini ones for lunchboxes or snacks

No comments:

Post a Comment